Gordon Mote | RSI News

WOW! You have to read this!
February 05, 2013

We get many great emails from fans everyday..........they are appreciated so much! The emails minister to us and this one was just received and was a "special" blessing. Testimonies like this are the reason we get on the bus every weekend......they give us assurance that the ministry really does make a difference. May each of us "be Jesus" to someone today! The email below was sent to Kimberly for Gordon. --------------------- Dear Kimberly - I wanted to take a second to tell you what that song means to me. Most daughters get to dance on their father's feet when they're young, but as a grown woman in my 30's and 40's, I had the extreme honor of dancing with my Dad doing any number of country couple dancing. We traveled all over Alabama and Tennessee and were on television with both the White Horse Saloon and Club Dance. In 2010, my father was diagnosed with lung cancer. He'd beaten cancer before in his life and he had the absolute positive attitude that he'd beat this too. On a number of occasions, he was declared in remission. At the last declaration, they decided to do an MRI of his brain. Yep, he had 5 brain tumors indicating the cancer had metastasized to his brain. Most people would crumble at that diagnosis. Not my Dad. He underwent whole brain radiation and then cyberknife treatments which killed the tumors. Dad became weaker, a side effect of the cyberknife treatments, did a 30 day stent in rehab and was released back home in November, 2012. When my brother and I were with my Dad at his last oncologist appointment on a Tuesday, he seriously asked the doctor when he could drive again. You see, the treatments to the brain caused him to begin having seizures. (In Alabama, you have to be seizure free for 6 months before you can drive - your license becomes suspended upon each seizure and the clock resets.) The oncologist told me privately that Dad had outlived all test book time frames, but he's see us in 8 weeks. We didn't need to move Christmas up, he felt relatively sure that Dad would be with us enjoying every minute of it. Four days after this appointment with his oncologist, Saturday, Dad was so weak and complaining of pain in his back that we took him to the ER just to be sure we didn't have a kidney infection. While 5 different nurses tried to get an IV line to give Dad some fluids, I held his other hand and talked face to face with him about all the dancing we did. He said he wanted to get his strength back so we could do that some more. He told me how much he enjoyed having me as his #1 dance partner. We were pleased to hear of no infection and we were sent home with pain medications. Monday afternoon, my brother and I were called to the house because Dad didn't get out of bed all day. You'd have to know my Dad to fully understand that was just not his way. He lived on the lake and continued to talk about getting his strength up to start back working out on his Boflex. When I arrived at Dad's house, I laid down in the bed with him. His words were so jumbled that I asked if he knew who I was. He gently placed his hand alongside my cheek and jaw bone. I simple said "I love you too Dad." After a couple of hours, Dad asked me about the people in the room. I was the only one with him. I asked if he saw his mom and dad and after leaning up, he quietly said "yes". I told him they were there to walk with him. I read passages from the Bible for hours sitting next to him with his hand on my leg. The next morning, we called in Hospice. I administered medications to keep him comfortable and my brother and I had the opportunity to tell Dad we would be fine. I continued to read more passages from the Bible throughout the day while holding his hand. While my brother and I know Dad took his last breath at 11:35 Tuesday night, Hospice had to make the "official" declaration, which was 12/12/2012 at 12:12. My Dad was a numbers freak like me so he would have thought that funny. Before they closed the casket at the funeral, I leaned in, kissed him on the cheek and whispered "save me a dance Dad." A few days later, I found the Best of Gordon Mote DVD and ordered it. I had never heard the song "Wake Up Dancing" and when I heard it for the first time, I knew it was "our song." When I go to his grave, I sing it to him and remind him to save me a dance. Ever since I purchased Gordon Mote's CD with both this song and "Don't Miss the Glory", I sing them daily. My mantra has become not to miss the glory and I remind people daily via Facebook not to miss anything. I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for this song. I know it wasn't written for me, but it has brought tremendous comfort to me during my grief. I know Dad woke up with wonderful strength in his legs and I'm sure when it's my time to go home, he'll meet me and we'll waltz across the star dust. God bless you for your wonderful ministry. Lisa Luquire Birmingham, AL

<< Back to News